Dasha: 11 Beauty Products

8 Jun

(Sorry for all the beauty-related posts. This stuff has been on my mind a lot.)

Like many women (I suspect), I have irrational hope that beauty products will transform me. If I just buy this cream or that powder, all of my perceived flaws will magically melt away and I’ll because the stunning beauty I’ve always wanted to be. After a long spell of mostly only wearing a dab of pressed powder on my nose and a little lipstick, I’ve gone whole hog into makeup. I’m not sure what exactly has causes this. It could be suddenly realizing I’m in my forties (how the HELL did that happen???). It could be that I’m currently so dissatisfied with my body that I figure I’ll at least make my face pretty. I could be the result of reading too many beauty blogs. It’s probably all of those things and some I’ve never considered.

This morning I realized that I’ve gone from wearing an average of 2 makeup products on my face to 11. ELEVEN.

Here they all are for today, in order of application. (This does not include skin cleaning/exfoliating/toning products.)

1. Too Faced Tinted Beauty Balm

2. Tarte Cheek Stain (in Blissful)

3. Tarte Clean Slate Eye Primer

4. Urban Decay De-Slick in a Tube (helps keep the obnoxious shine off my nose)

5. Shadow from the Too Faced Natural Neutral Palette

6. Stila Smudge Pot Liner

7. L’Oreal Brow Pencil (to repair the hole I made in my brow over the weekend with my tweezers)

8. Sephora Eyelash Curler

9. E.L.F. Brow Gel and Clear Mascara

10. Urban Decay Glide-On Lip Pencil

11. Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Balm

So you’d think that after increasing the number of makeup products used on my face 450% that there would be some pretty serious transformation, right? I mean, we’ve all seen the makeovers on TV and in magazines. I should look 450% better.

But I don’t think so.

Here’s a picture of me with a pretty bare face. Powder and lip color. That’s it. This was taken on April 12th of this year.

Excuse the alarmed look on my face.

And here I am today, proudly sporting all 11 products. (Yes, I wear a lot of black t-shirts. Staple of my wardrobe.)

Getting all artypants for the camera!

Am I that much more gorgeous? Glamorous? Fabulous? Is there even that big of a difference with 9 more makeup items on my face? I don’t think so.

So when am I going to finally get it? My face is my face and no amount of makeup (or any other kind of beauty product, for that matter) is going to magically transform me into a supermodel. Or halt the inevitable aging process (and the horrible downward slide of my upper eyelids–shit’s getting gruesome, y’all). It’s just not going to happen. Spending a half hour in the bathroom on makeup versus 1 minute isn’t going to make that much difference in the end. Sephora is NOT going to change my life.

I wonder if I’ll ever really get it.

How about you? Do you ever expect beauty products to transform you into something you’re not?

P.S. The purpose of this post is not (absolutely, positively NOT) to fish for compliments. You are all very sweet but I want to spur conversation, not boost my self-esteem.

11 Responses to “Dasha: 11 Beauty Products”

1. Robbie June 8, 2012 at 12:07 pm #

Hmm. Well, do you FEEL any different when you wear makeup as opposed to when you don’t (or wear the minimum)? And if you use tinted moisturizer, at least, if it’s got SPF, can protect your face from sun damage which is good.

I so rarely wear makeup that when I do, I’m pretty sure I’m the only one who really notices, unless I wear quite a lot of it. And by “notice,” I mean I notice that I’ve smudged my mascara and the facial stuff make my lines MORE noticeable instead of less, and anything with color seems to make my lips dry (even tinted Burt’s Bees)….

• Dasha June 8, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

I’d like to say that I feel tons more glamorous, and sometimes I do, but generally I feel like myself. Which is good and bad. And, yes, the BB cream has SPF.

LOL. I feel like that a lot of time. I definitely have struggles with mascara. (P.S. Try drinking more water. It might help with the dry lips. Sure did for me.)

2. icedteainthebag June 8, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

I wonder if this is less about appearing 450% more beautiful than taking some time out of your day to take care of yourself. I know that morning routines, for some women, are the only true “me” time that they get. And investing that time and money into something that makes you feel good is a great thing.

However, if the reason behind buying/applying the makeup doesn’t make you feel good (in fact makes you feel worse), or if it’s not a zen, self-indulgent experience either buying or applying it, then maybe it isn’t a healthy habit. Maybe, if it’s being used as “me” time, that time or money would be better spent somewhere else. Massages, facials, manicures, overnight trips (Come on, five things at Sephora would pay for a hotel).

I put one thing on–moisturizer–in the morning, because it keeps my pores from getting clogged/acne forming. It feels nice. I like putting on makeup for the rare and special occasions I do it, but it’s because those occasions are special.

• Dasha June 8, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

You have a good point about “me” time. I do generally enjoy the time I spend in the bathroom putting on my makeup, unless I’m in a big hurry. But I’m perfectly okay with leaving the house without makeup on if time is an issue.

You’re right about the 5 things at Sephora paying for a hotel. I shudder to think how much money I’ve spent on beauty shit in the last few months.

3. Carie Bosch June 8, 2012 at 12:22 pm #

you have zero wrinkles. i am insanely jealous.

• Dasha June 8, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

That’s really sweet of you, but I do have some. For some reason the lighting in my office is wrinkle erasing!

4. Mel June 8, 2012 at 12:25 pm #

Sometimes I wish I could carry my bathroom lighting around with me everywhere I go, because I finish my makeup and go YEAH LOOKIN FINE and then I catch sight of myself in a window half an hour later and what the hell happened? And so I think it might come down to ‘me time’ when I decide whether or not to wear any makeup at all each day, it’s probably about 50/50. I will say that when I do go for the full face I am getting more and more theatrical, which isn’t really about those typical standards of beauty I chased for so long. One thing I don’t ever skimp or skip though is moisturizers – twice a day and usually a serum too. SPF for the day and something gloopy for night. Face mask once in a while.

• Dasha June 8, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

So much YES to the bathroom lighting. Or else why can’t we all just be followed by a Hollywood lighting designer who would bathe us in flattering light at all time?

Yes to the moisturizers. Living in Minnesota means harsh, dry skin 5-6 months out of the year. I’d take a bath in moisturizer if I could.

5. Shae Connor June 8, 2012 at 1:09 pm #

I gave up on foundation a while back because nothing ever matched and it just seemed to seep far enough in to outline every line and pore. I used just powder for a while and now use Mary Kay mineral foundation powder. I also use concealer, blush, and mascara, and when I’m being a little more dressy, eyeshadow and lipstick.

(On an average day, my lips just get Vaseline and/or Aquafor. Like Robbie, I find lip balms make my lips drier.)

Overall, I’d rather spend my “me” time on skin care than skin coverup, since as you say, makeup can only do so much. I use Mary Kay’s Timewise products, and they’ve done wonders for my skin over the past year. Yes, I’m a Mary Kay convert! LOL

6. Lynnie June 8, 2012 at 4:23 pm #

Make up is good. I like eyeliner but applying it scares most women. It really jacks up the eyes and an eyelash curler and Smashbox Extreme mascara does the rest. The other day I bought silver metallic eye shadow by Bare Minerals that I thought would be ridiculous on me! Instead it brightens my face. Nice. I also use concealer, foundation and a cheek pinker by Lancome. All this takes me about 3 minutes to apply.

Talk to Us

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 65 other followers